Auto accidents can be devastating, resulting in serious injuries, property damage, and emotional trauma. When such an event occurs, it is vital to determine who is at fault and whether any negligence played a role in the crash.
Centennial, CO, is located in the southern Denver metropolitan area. It experiences its fair share of car accidents. In 2019, the Colorado Department of Transportation reported over 2,500 motor vehicle crashes in Arapahoe County, where Centennial is located, resulting in injuries. These accidents can cause significant physical, emotional, and financial damage to those involved.
This article will discuss what may constitute negligence in a car accident and the role of Centennial car accident lawyers in such cases.
What is negligence in a car accident?
Negligence is the failure to take reasonable care, resulting in harm or injury to another person. In the context of an auto accident, negligence occurs when a driver fails to follow the rules of the road, such as obeying traffic signals or yielding the right of way. Examples of negligent behavior in a car accident may include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting or using a cell phone while driving.
- Speeding or reckless driving.
- Failing to yield the right of way.
- Failing to obey traffic signals or stop signs.
- Driving under the influence of drugs, alcohol, etc.
- Failing to maintain a safe distance from other vehicles.
To prove negligence in an accident, it is important to establish that the other driver had a duty to exercise reasonable care, that they breached that duty, and that caused the accident and resulting injuries.
The role of a lawyer
If you have been affected in an auto accident caused by another driver’s negligence, it is essential to consult with a car accident lawyer as soon as possible. They can help you and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Here are some ways a lawyer can help in an automobile accident case.
- Investigate the accident: They can help gather evidence and interview witnesses to determine the cause of the accident and establish liability.
- Calculate damages: A lawyer can help you determine the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Negotiate with insurance companies: Insurance companies may offer you a low settlement to avoid paying more. A lawyer can argue with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you receive fair compensation.
- File a lawsuit: If a settlement is impossible, a lawyer can file a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in court.
What to do if you have been involved in a car accident?
You should take specific steps to protect your legal rights and ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you do not feel injured, it is important to seek medical attention immediately. Some injuries, such as whiplash, may not manifest until several days after the accident.
- Document the accident: Take photos of the scene, including any damage to your vehicle or other property. Get the contact information of the other driver and any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact a lawyer: Contact a lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your legal options and protect your rights.
- Do not admit fault: Even if you believe you may have contributed to the accident, do not admit fault or apologize. Let your lawyer handle the negotiations with the insurance company.
- Keep records: Keep all medical bills, repair bills, and other documentation related to the accident in a safe place. This will help your lawyer calculate your damages and ensure you receive fair compensation.
It is essential to understand what may constitute negligence and the role of a lawyer in a car accident lawsuit. Centennial car accident lawyers can help you navigate the legal process. By following the steps outlined above and working with a legal expert, you can protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome in your case. Remember to seek medical attention, document the accident, contact a lawyer, do not admit fault, and keep records of all expenses related to the crash. With a skilled attorney, you can hold negligent drivers accountable and receive the compensation you deserve.
Hannah Gilbert is a freelance writer who offers to ghostwrite, copy writing, and blogging services. She works closely with B2C and B2B businesses providing digital marketing content that gains social media attention and increases their search engine visibility.