A healthy smile is beautiful and allows you to face the world with confidence. The best way to ensure your smile is perfect is to practice good oral hygiene. Taking care of your teeth and gums keeps cavities and gum disease at bay. With this guide, you will learn ten important routines to ensure your smile stays healthy, beautiful, and strong.
Top 10 Routines for a Healthy & Beautiful Smile
1. See your Milton Dentist often. The ADA recommends individuals see their dentists at least twice a year for examinations and cleanings. During this appointment, your dentist will take X-rays, allowing them to discover minor issues and correct them before major oral health issues arise.
2. Flossing should be a nightly routine for people of all ages. Unfortunately, many people neglect this task because they find it too difficult. Floss picks make it easy to clean between the teeth and prevent cavities.
3. Brushing twice a day correctly, is one of the top ways to keep cavities and gum disease away from your mouth. It is important to use a soft toothbrush and brush gently, at an angle. Make sure to brush all surfaces of your teeth for at least two minutes.
4. Make sure to add mouthwash to your daily routine. Medicated mouthwash kills the bacteria that lead to cavities and gum disease. It also freshens your breath and can help with some issues, like sensitivity, depending on the type.
5. Skipping sodas, coffee, and sugary drinks is an important part of any healthy oral hygiene routine. These beverages can have a negative impact on your oral health. They can also stain your teeth.
6. Avoiding smoking is essential for your oral health. Tobacco use can lead to periodontal disease and oral cancer. Smoking can also stain your teeth and cause bad breath.
7. Cleaning your tongue each day is an important routine you should never avoid. Many people do not realize their tongues harbor bacteria in the creases and crevices. Purchasing a tongue cleaner makes light work of this daily chore and cleans your tongue better than a toothbrush.
8. Eating a healthy diet and taking calcium supplements and other vitamins and minerals will give your teeth the nutrients they need to grow healthy and strong. Ask your doctor or dentist about the recommended vitamins and minerals your body needs.
9. Taking care of minor oral health issues before they become big problems is another routine everyone should adopt. Many people do not realize the health of their smile can impact the health of their entire bodies. For instance, gum disease has been linked to cardiovascular disease.
10. Make sure to use a fluoride toothpaste. Fluoride is an essential mineral for strong teeth. Brushing twice a day with this paste will help protect the health of your teeth and prevent them from being damaged.
Signs of Oral Health Concerns
Dealing with cavities and gum disease can be highly stressful. Being able to recognize the signs of problems with your teeth and gums will allow you to know when to seek dental care. The following are some of the common symptoms people experience when they need to see a dentist.
When your mouth or jaw hurts, it could be because of a tooth injury or decay. Jaw pain can also be caused by a tooth infection.
Do your teeth hurt when you drink overly cold or hot beverages? Sensitivity can be caused by decay, damaged fillings, tooth injuries, and erosions.
If your gum tissue starts to bleed or has become swollen and red, it is important to see the dentist. These are signs of gum disease and should not be overlooked.
Have you discovered a sore in your mouth that is not healing? Although most oral sores are benign, there is a chance they could be cancerous, especially if the sore does not heal or becomes larger.
Schedule a Dental Appointment
Scheduling your oral examinations and cleanings is an essential part of caring for your smile. By adopting the above routines and seeing your dentist regularly, you can expect to have a beautiful and healthy smile for life. Call today to schedule your appointment.
Elizabeth is a renowned leader in the space of Health and Mental Wellness topics. Her work has appeared on more than a dozen influential sites and blogs. Her articles both focus on providing valuable information and an entertaining read that her readers enjoy. More about her work on – ELIZABETHMARKS.me