The hair industry keeps on evolving. Many women are crazy about switching their hairstyles from one to the next just as a season changes after a few months. The hair market is flooded with several hair extensions. On the other hand, the majority of women experience hair issues such as thinning or baldness. The solution to hiding these hair problems is using a weave or wig. These are the two most popular methods to enhance your looks by changing or modifying your hairstyle. Among these two methods, many women have a common question, and that is: Are wigs and weaves the same thing? Therefore, to find out the answer to this question, make sure to read it till the end. In the following article, we will discuss the differences between wigs and weaves.
What is a wig?
A wig is a kind of hair extension that covers the entire scalp, and it is designed for those who want to conceal their hair thinning or baldness. Wigs are mainly made of human hair or synthetic hair and are placed on the head just to wear as we wear jackets on our bodies. The wig’s hair is sewn into the lace to form a cap-like structure, making it simple to put on and take off.
The Advantages of Wigs
There are many advantages to wigs, including the following:
● Wigs help to protect your natural hair. For colouring or dying, the hair has to go through a few chemical processes that are harsh on the hair.
● Wigs help you to create infinite looks and styles.
● Wigs help you to save money rather than spend it on buying a new one. Because they last longer if you take care of them and properly maintain them.
● Wigs can help you save time during the installation process.
● Most of the wigs are beginner-friendly and don’t require any professional installation.
● Using wigs, we can achieve long, colourful hair without damaging our own natural hair. and can be worn in multiple ways.
● The lifespan of a wig is quite long and can last up to 1-2 years if maintained properly.
Choose a quality wig is very important, as you need to wear it for months and the price is expensive, so buying from a famous wig brand becomes important.
Disadvantages of wigs
There are a few disadvantages to wigs, which are as follows:
● Wigs aren’t very secure and need clips, glue, or tape to secure them on the head.
● To wear a wig, you must cover your entire scalp, including your natural hair.
● A wig doesn’t help you change your hairstyle instantly.
● A few wigs can cause irritation to your scalp and can result in hair damage.
What is a hair weave?
A weave is a hair extension made up of artificial or natural hair and is generally used to increase the volume of natural hair by inserting, stitching, or sewing it within the natural braided hair. To install or remove a weave, a hair stylist or professional is required. Weaves are one of the most popular methods to achieve beautiful hair by increasing the volume in the hair.
The advantages of hair weave
There are many advantages to hair weaving, including the following:
● It can be a quick and easy way to get a new look.
● Hair weaving is a low-cost way to get a new hairstyle.
● Hair weaving can be a more permanent solution than temporary hair pieces or wigs.
● You can achieve thickness, fullness, and volume in your pre-existing hair using a weave, thus providing a natural appearance.
● Weaves are so secure that you can also play, dance, swim or party with one on.
● Weaves aren’t required to be removed daily.
● You can wear a weave for up to 2 to 3 months without removing it in between.
Disadvantages of hair weft
There are many disadvantages to hair weaving, including the following:
● The lifespan of hair weave is short and can last up to only 2-3 months.
● Hair weaves can cause tangled or damaged hair.
● It can’t be installed or removed manually and requires professional help.
● You can’t wear a hair weave in multiple ways.
● Using a weave, you can’t cover your entire scalp.
● To wear a weave, you must have extensive pre-styling.
What is the difference between a wig and a weave? And which one to choose?
The most commonly asked question: Are wigs and weaves the same thing? Well, the answer is, “No, both are different things.” To know more about both of them in detail, read the whole section.
A weave has to be stitched into the braided hair so it doesn’t cover the entire scalp. But on the other hand, a wig can cover the entire scalp. You do not need any pre-existing hair in order to wear a wig, but with a weave you are required to have enough hair to be braided so that the weft can be stitched into the braided hair.
To wear a wig, you don’t need the help of a professional hairstylist, but to wear a weave, you will have to get the help of a professional hairstylist due to the stitch-in process of the weave.
A wig comes in the form of a cap. Whereas the weaves come in bundles.
A wig is recommended for people suffering from hair loss or baldness. On the other hand, weaves are a great option for people suffering from hair thinning.
You can install or remove a wig whenever you want, and it can last up to 1-2 years. But you can’t wear a weave for more than 2-3 months as the hair grows during that period and it has to be retired after 2-3 months of wear.
Well, while choosing between a wig and a weave, the decision must be based on your personal preferences. If you are suffering from hair thinning or just want to increase the volume, then weaves are for you. But if you’re completely or partially bald or just want to switch to a new different style, then wigs are for you.
Wigs and weaves can be used for both styling and medical purposes. But finding the right and best quality is really very important. We have discussed everything related to wigs and weaves in this article. Moreover, the commonly asked question is: Are wigs and weaves the same thing? It has also been solved. Still, if any doubt persists, leave a comment on the blog post. So we can address your concern in a subsequent blog post.
Barry Lachey is a Professional Editor at Zobuz. Previously He has also worked for Moxly Sports and Network Resources “Joe Joe.” he is a graduate of the Kings College at the University of Thames Valley London. You can reach Barry via email or by phone.