Working out can be an exciting part of your daily routine, especially if you know how to jazz up your workouts. The treadmill or the elliptical cycle is amongst the most commonly used equipment at the gym primarily because most people know how they work.
When it comes to rowing machines, many shy away simply because they don’t know how to use them. Here is a quick guide to help you understand the benefits of a rowing machine, and subsequently give you an idea of how to use it effectively. Workouts that include a variety of different equipment are more likely to keep you enthused throughout your whole session!
What is a Rowing Machine?
A rowing machine, also known as an ergometer, is exactly what it sounds like. It is a piece of gym equipment that allows users to have a full-body by making use of the muscles they would use while rowing.
Unlike a common misconception, a rowing machine is friendly for those who have just joined an exercise program. The exercise done on a rowing machine is a low-impact workout, which means that the machine can be used by all kinds of people.
Making Use of a Rowing Machine
As mentioned previously, using a rowing machine is far from complicated. You need to just make sure that your rowing form is correct, otherwise, you may run the risk of pulling a muscle or even hurting your back. Here are some steps to follow that can help you understand how to use a rowing machine.
- Position yourself correctly: Before starting a workout, your shins must be at an angle of 90 degrees from the floor while your feet are secured in their stirrups. Remember to keep your back straight for the entire duration of your exercise as a hunched back would not allow you to take deep breaths.
- Make Careful Movements: slowly push your back with your lower body and then use your upper body to pull the machine’s ‘handles’ towards your chest. Hold the position briefly before allowing your arms to move towards the base. At this point, simply bend to your knees to allow yourself to revert to the original position.
- Repeat: repeat the second step for as long as you can. If it is your first workout, remember not to overexert yourself as it may make your muscles stiffen.
Benefits of a Rowing Machine
The correct usage of a rowing machine such as a hydrow rower can be really good for your health. Here are some of the reasons why this is so.
- Great for Burning Calories: a rowing machine allows you to engage 86 percent of your muscles during a workout. Even a short session can help you burn many calories.
- Improves your posture: since it requires you to keep your back straight for the duration of a workout, this machine can help optimize your overall posture.
- Low Impact workout: this machine is one of those which have a reduced chance of causing injury.
- Improves Stamina: consistent use of a rowing machine can help improve your overall strength as well as your stamina. This would prepare you for carrying out high-intensity workouts in the future.
As you have seen, rowing machines are not that hard to use and can easily be incorporated in your daily workouts. Rowing machines can be used by people of all levels of fitness, which means they are friendly for beginners. The fact that a rowing machine workout is a low-impact one makes it an easy way to help you engage your whole body’s muscles without overexerting yourself.
Hope this helps you understand what a rowing machine is and how it works!
Barry Lachey is a Professional Editor at Zobuz. Previously He has also worked for Moxly Sports and Network Resources “Joe Joe.” he is a graduate of the Kings College at the University of Thames Valley London. You can reach Barry via email or by phone.