The brain and nervous system has always been a source of mystery for scientists and philosophers. While we have made some progress in understanding it, there is still much to be discovered.
As the brain is an incredibly complex and little understood organ there are many things that can go wrong which we don’t know how to effectively treat yet. Neurologists are attempting to better understand the way our brain and nervous system works so we can better treat the diseases and conditions that often affect us.
In this section, we’ll talk about the latest neurological discoveries and how they might change the way we think about the human brain in general.
To better understand the current trends of this science we must look back into the past. Diseases affecting the nervous system have existed for as long as humanity, however the knowledge of the cause has only recently been discovered and researched.
The word neurology is derived from the Greek words, νευρος (neuros) meaning “nerve” and λόγος (logos) meaning “study of”. The word neurology was coined by the Scottish physician William Cullen in 1771.
Neurology became medical science in its own right that deals with disorders of the nervous system with a neurologist being a physician that specializes in this field. Some examples of neurological disorders are multiple sclerosis, brain injuries and epilepsy.
Neurology is a branch of medicine that deals with the anatomy, physiology and diseases of the nervous system.
Neurology is the study and diagnosis of disorders affecting the brain, spinal cord, and nervous system including their supporting cells. This field is highly specialized and relies on two main approaches. Clinical neurology focuses on identifying mental health issues as well as other neurological disorders through observation and patient interview.
The second approach, neuroscience, relies more on experimental data to advance our understanding of neurological functioning.
Neurologists are using new technology and treatments that have been developed over the years, which enable them to diagnose patients more quickly and provide better care.
As there has been a rapid development of sophisticated and new technology scientists are starting to use this to treat a wide variety of neurological issues. With the development of smart connected treatment devices and apps along with remote monitoring and video communication, health workers are now able to treat neurological conditions a lot more successfully.
One of the newest techniques for treating patients is using telemedicine for neurology.
A very modern trend is telehealth neurology. This combines the use of apps for both patients and medical staff that is connected to a cloud server full of data on the patients conditions. This flexible system can be updated at any time and emergency medical staff are on hand to react if the patient’s health rapidly deteriorates. Telemedicine in neurology is broken down into different parts that work like this:
- Cloud data storage. This file of data saves all the patient details related to their condition and is regularly updated from a variety of medical equipment. It includes: medical scans, information from laboratory results, data from devices attached to the patient and recordings of all treatment sessions.
- App for patients. The patient will always have a device available where they can input their symptoms and request advice and help from medical staff when necessary. They can even keep track of and schedule appointments.
- App for medical staff. Medical staff will also have an app so they can consult with other team members such as neurologists, speech therapists etc. They can also monitor the patient 24/7 and arrange appointments.
- Administration web panel. This device will allow supervisors to monitor the number of users and staff for the treatment and upload content such as self help videos to help patients cope and learn more about their condition.
- Video streaming server. This is a very important part of teleneurology as it allows the patient to communicate with medical staff from anywhere who can update and provide advice and specialist care from afar.
The human brain is an incredibly complex organ with billions of neurons and neural connections. Research in the field of neurology has seen many changes in recent years. Neurologists are using new tools and techniques to better understand how the brain works, why it reacts differently to stimuli, and how it can be used to treat diseases. With new modern trends in neurology being developed the future’s looking bright to treat and even cure these horrible diseases.