The shipment of goods is one of the main functions of the warehouse. It aims to send the products ordered in perfect condition and respecting delivery times.
This process is divided into several stages and operations which it is important that you follow to the letter so that it takes place in good conditions. In our article, we will review the different phases of this process and we will present some strategies to make them more effective.
Let’s see what sub-processes it consists of:
- Planning of deliveries to be made
The shipment of goods is extremely linked to the rest of the bonded warehouse operations; this is why planning plays a very important role, which should not be overlooked. Organizing daily shipments means:
- Know and confirm the orders that will be prepared and shipped during the day.
- List the orders to prepare.
- Assign the orders to the carriers and indicate to them the time at which they will have to pick up the goods.
- Plan the occupation of the loading docks.
- Calculate the space required for the temporary storage area and shipments.
- Consolidation and sorting of goods
We had already included this phase in the order preparation procedure. However, due to its proximity and location in the warehouse, it may be considered that it is also part of the overall process of shipping goods.
Consolidation involves combining and grouping goods from different areas of the warehouse in one place so that they can be dispatched. This step obviously depends on the product collection route followed. If the debit has not been executed correctly, the goods may remain blocked in the shipping area pending the arrival of the references necessary for the order. However, you can ship your automobiles with Schumacher international auto shippers
- Document control and packaging
The shipment of goods represents the last contact of the product with the warehouse. This is when we check the documents to avoid errors and to ensure that the customer receives what he ordered.
To do this, it is necessary to check various papers (the receipt of the order, the withdrawal slip, the delivery slip, the waybill, the bill of lading, etc.) to ensure that the products ordered are the pallet or the package, and that all the information matches that of the warehouse management software .
On the one hand, the operators ensure that the weight and volume of the order comply with the standards of the carriers to proceed with its labeling. On the other hand, the goods are packed or placed in cartons or pallets, then they are sealed and filmed.
- Loading of goods
Before even transferring the orders to the truck corresponding to them, so that everything is in order, it is necessary to:
- Check that the truck waiting on the platform is the right one.
- Place the goods so as to balance the loads. In addition, it is essential that the truck is perfectly anchored to the loading docks. We generally use handling equipment such as pallet trucks or forklifts to carry out this operation which must be carried out with extreme caution.
- Give the documents to the carrier for signing.
Amanda Byers is a graduate of Columbia, where she played volleyball and annoyed a lot of professors. Now as Zubuz’s entertainment and Lifestyle Editor, she enjoys writing about delicious BBQ, outrageous style trends and all things Buzz worthy.