Why Get a Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
Six Sigma Green Belt course allows participants to learn about tools and methods that eventually improve the production process of a company. It does so by eliminating defects and guaranteeing quality. It not only helps in reducing the cost of production for increasing profits but also reduces the time cycle of one or more processes. This certification validates that professionals are able to identify risks, errors, defects in business and find solutions.
The phases of DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyse, Improve, and Control) are competently studied and understood by a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt™. This certification is an introduction to techniques about dealing with the basic structure of DMAIC, in addition to identifying and reducing or removing the problems.
Six Sigma is a people-driven process, with all the project performance levels matching that of persistence, commitment, and expertise. Green Belts are skilled team players. Each individual of the team plays a critical role in the process of quality improvement. These individuals bridge the gap between Six Sigma theory and real-life applications by improving the process, inspection of data, or Project Management.
Who can apply for a Six Sigma Green Belt certification?
Many international and national companies are looking for Six Sigma skilled employees, to improve business processes, performance, and quality assurance. Six Sigma understands the underlying reasons for various problems and enhances overall work by eliminating waste. From production to customer interaction, at each and all processes, Six Sigma eliminates the defects thus allowing the companies to function at its highest standard. Six Sigma is one of the main reasons that companies are able to improve confidence in estimating the expected output of processes, such as price, quality, and delivery.
If a person is interested in waste reduction and continuous improvement in addition to working experience in business management or supply chain, this certification course is ideal for them. It will allow them to boost their subject matter proficiency, making them responsible for cost-efficient improved outcomes. To be able to apply for the Six Sigma Green Belt certification, the professional needs to have at least three years of full-time work experience. Internships or any other part-time experience cannot be applied toward the work experience requirement.
Along with the work experience, one will also be required to have perseverance, a logical and analytical mind, a passion for improvement, and leadership skills to become a successful Six Sigma Green Belt.
Six Sigma certification levels
There are various Six Sigma Certification levels, namely, White Belt, Yellow Belt, Green Belt, Black Belt, and Master Black Belt. White belts coordinate with local problem-solving teams that assist projects and support change management in an organization. The Yellow belt certification holders support the project team on a problem-solving task. The Green Belts lead projects, assist Black Belts in the collection and analysis of data, and ensure feedback delivery. A Six Sigma Green Belt is an essential part of an organisation that understands how to implement, perform, interpret, and apply Six Sigma at a high proficiency level.
Responsibilities of Six Sigma Green Belt.
A Six Sigma Green Belt employee will lead a process improvement team. They will also focus on efficient applications of their project for the satisfaction of departmental organisation and/or client objectives. Some of the other responsibilities are:
- Leading improvement teams
- Validating the measurement system by coordinating with the project data set process team
- Work on analysing and solving a problem, under the supervision of a Six Sigma Black Belt.
- Project Charter Development.
- SIPOC (Supplier, Input, Process, Output) development.
How to get a Six Sigma Green Belt Certification?
To become a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt™ (CSSGB), you must successfully complete the Green Belt course and sit for an exam. There are no eligibility requirements for Six Sigma Green Belt certification from IASSC. However, you need to have at least 3 years of working experience in at least one area mentioned in the Body of Knowledge to sit for ASQ’s Six Sigma Green Belt certification exam. No work experience is required for the Green Belt certification from CSSC. You can subscribe to the practice test for the Six Sigma Green Belt, however, training from a recognised institute is recommended for a better understanding of all the methodologies. The test for Six Sigma Green Belt consists of 100 MCQ needed to be completed in four hours. The percentage required for passing the written exam and proceeding to further steps, which include one or two quality projects related to concepts of Green Belt, is 50%.
Career Scope of a Six Sigma Green Belt
Six Sigma Green Belt certified professionals will be extremely useful for the organization. They will take care of the complicated problems in a short span of time and that too with a strategic oriented approach. Their methods will lead to increase in quality, cost reduction, revenue, etc. The most popular career choices for a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt™ are process engineers, consultants, project managers, manufacturing engineers, etc. It also has a huge opportunity for career growth, with companies like Tata Consultancy Service, Accenture, IBM, Volkswagen.
Benefits of Six Sigma Green Belt Certification:
- Professional Development: Having a certificate in Six Sigma Green Belt benefits not only an organisation but the individual as well. It is just as useful in handling a rather tricky subject in everyday life, as it is to improve a company’s manufacturing and business processes. The certificate also indicates that the candidate is qualified to achieve sustained quality improvement that organisations require.
- Risk reduction and error elimination: Using Six Sigma concepts in the workplace will ensure risk reduction by identifying the critical error and eliminating, thus increasing company profit.
- Customer benefit: A CSSGB helps in providing better quality products and services, increasing customers’ loyalty. Expert SSGBs are proficient in expanding an organisation’s reliability and attracting new customers.
- Excellent salary: Rising from one belt to another requires years of dedication and hard work. The salary of a Certified Six Sigma Green Belt™ is $81,000 per year as compared to a non-certified person, who would earn approximately $65,000.