As humans, we are conscious beings and can develop many of our skills for some kind of purpose deliberately. Some of these skills can be more specific and suitable for a particular job or task. Yet, some skills are more general, serving a multitude of purposes and being able to move us along through different stages of life. One of such skills is writing and the ability to put our thoughts into a material form to share with others. There are many applications of this skill indeed, so there are lots of reasons to practice writing every day.
Surely, in the modern world where digital technology predominates and information disseminates very quickly, there are lots of literate people. Yet, the application of basic skills of reading and writing is what matters the most. Yes, many people can write, but it’s only practically useful today if one can express their thoughts and opinions in an eloquent enough way. People who can correct my essay well are valued very highly, so it’s safe to say that we live in the era where writing is more than just a necessity or hobby, but even a profession. Here are the reasons why exactly it’s worth polishing your writing skills starting today.
- It shows you’re intelligent. Smart people can express their thoughts and opinions clearly. Wise people can do so on paper. The point is, if you can express your thoughts effectively and consecutively in written form, you are considered intelligent and, thus, more valuable as part of a team or company.
- Writing improves communication skills. Even some of the most introverted people can communicate their internal worlds to other people very well. Chances they have practiced their writing are pretty high in such cases.
- Writing improves analytical skills. As you write your thoughts down, you physically visualize them. And as you do that, you can analyze your thoughts better.
- You get your thoughts in order. Sometimes, life gives us lemons, and it gets hard to think and see things clearly and in order. That’s when writing comes into play. As you write your thoughts down, you are able to also track your concerns and get your life in order easier.
- Expressing your thoughts is often a basis for successful business communication. Business communication is the key to success today. And the best way to improve it is to write, of course, as it allows you to observe what you have to say and control the quality of it.
- Your credibility grows. Being a student, as you improve writing skills, you start to make a good name for yourself and appear more insightful, hardworking and credible in the eyes of your professors.
- Writing as a meditation. Sometimes, it’s a good idea to just relax and let your mind wonder. Essentially, that’s what meditation is about. It helps you relieve stress, sort out your thoughts, and just focus on something specific. And, perhaps, there’s no better way for that than to sit down and write for a while.
- It helps you to earn followers online. In the digital age, it’s important to have some kind of online presence to improve your credibility. If you express yourself eloquently in written form, this becomes much easier.
- Writing often promotes a career overall. You’re often viewed as a much more valuable employee if you can express yourself well. Employers see you as someone who can generate ideas, motivate others, and inspire others with your own example.
- All professional records must be supported by written examples. Finally, as you move through your career, you probably do a lot of different work, and need to sum up your work experience for a resume. Essentially, when you write or update your CV or cover letter, you grow your career, bit by bit. This makes writing not just useful but rather essential.
Essentially, writing is not just a basic literacy skill anymore. An ability to write and express yourself serves a vast multitude of purposes. It’s not even just about getting the words together right. It’s about combining them in an effective and appropriate way for everyone to understand your ideas and information you are sharing. That’s exactly the reason why proper writing skills are so highly valued today.
What makes Michael Carr’s articles special is his passion for writing. Even the ordinary and somewhat mundane subjects can become interesting and attention-grabbing with his style and tone. That’s mainly because Michael practices an experiential approach, studying his subject in detail before he even starts writing.