What is Couples Addiction Treatment?
The married partners or couples who use drugs and alcohol often experience and grow emotionally distant. This can fuel the cycle even further as one or both partners might be resorting to substances to relieve stress and anxiety. It’s a way of escaping from their marriage problems.
There’s where a couple’s addiction treatment comes into play. It’s perfect for people who are either married or cohabiting. A rehab helps break the addiction cycle and strengthen the relationship by unearthing issues that are causing, fueling, or worsening the addiction. Couples’ addiction treatment programs offer detox, education, medication-assisted treatment, and counseling to improve relationship dynamics and handle difficulties without resorting to drugs.
Couples Addiction Treatment Follows a 4-step Process:
Since every couple is different, they require a unique, custom treatment plan. As with most treatment programs, couples going through alcohol rehab or drug rehab will generally also go through these 4-step processes –
Initial Assessment – This is often the first step involving the couple’s physical and medical evaluation. An admissions navigator will perform this task. The goal is to determine the level of care and treatment path best for an individual couple based on the findings.
Detox – As part of care continues, many patients may start off at detox centers. This is particularly true if the addiction is chronic. At this stage, it’s best if couples live at the facility. The team of doctors would administer medication to wean them off of drugs. Their system gets a reboot by ridding itself of present substances.
Addiction treatment – As part of the addiction-related treatments, the facility will create a combination of behavior, group, and individual therapy. There is also couples therapy in the program. Addiction treatment can take place in both outpatient and inpatient settings.
Aftercare – Once the above steps are complete, the couples can continue to work with a therapist afterward. They can stick to an aftercare plan to prevent relapse and maintain recovery. An aftercare plan helps continue to live a life of purpose and healthy/rewarding relationships.
Options for Couples Addiction Treatment
Couples Inpatient Rehab
In this type of treatment, couples get to attend and stay together in a rehab facility. There’s a sense of motivation that each couple reinforces in each other to achieve sobriety. There’s also a stronger sense of commitment.
Couples who attend drug or alcohol inpatient treatment get to attend therapy and counseling sessions together. In this way, they can motivate and support each other, which is necessary for sustainable sobriety.
Couples Outpatient Rehab
Couples can enter rehab for both inpatient and outpatient care. Some would even use a combination where one of the partners opts for inpatient treatment while the other sticks with the outpatient one. The selection would depend on their goals, whether both the partners need intense therapy, and how old the addiction is.
MAT or Medication-Assisted Treatment offers comprehensive medication treatment programs to address substance abuse. Common medications used under the MAT paradigm are – naltrexone, methadone, and buprenorphine. These medications make the less withdrawn symptoms less painful and bearable. They help with detoxification and pave the way for the rest of the treatment.
Behavioral Couples Therapy
BCT uses behavioral modification methods to help with SUD. One of the ways that BCT works is by drawing up the ‘recovery contract’ with your partner. This contract asks you to state your intentions not to drink or do drugs. The other partner is tasked with providing support.
Under behavioral couples therapy, which is commonly used in mental health centers, couples get to see a therapist together once or twice a week in a clinical and private setting. At the treatment, they get to discuss their progress, development, goals, and any challenges they may be facing. They also learn coping skills to maintain sobriety.
Top Couples Addiction Treatment Centers in South Carolina
Addcare Counseling Inc, Greenville
Add care Counseling is one of drug and alcohol treatment facilities located in Grenville, SC, area 29601. It is situated at Vardry Street in Greenville County.
- Inpatient treatment for non-substance addiction
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Counseling for families and individuals going through substance abuse
- Works with victims of domestic violence, judicial clients, and dual diagnosis patients
- Outpatient treatment and intensive outpatient services
- Health care services with a personal physician
- Medication-assisted treatment for alcohol and drug abuse
- Accept self-payment and cash
Anderson Behavioral Health Services, SC Drug Rehab Programs
Located at South Oak Street and providing some of the best addiction treatment in Oconee County in South Carolina, Anderson Behavioral Services is another fine alcohol and drug rehab facility.
Services provided are:
- Outpatient, Regular outpatient treatment, and inpatient treatment are available
- Gambling disorder treatment
- Health care and personal care physicians are available
- State health insurance accepted
- Treatment for dual diagnosis and trauma
- Accepts clients on MAT for drugs and alcohol treatment prescribed somewhere else
- Group and individual counseling
Trinity Behavioral Care – Mullins, SC
Situated at 424 Guyton Court in Marion County, SC – Trinity Behavioral Care is an alcohol and drug rehab center. It’s perfect for couples as well.
- Outpatient, intensive outpatient, and regular outpatient treatment are available.
- Uses medications like naltrexone, methadone, and buprenorphine. It also accepts people on the MAT prescribed elsewhere.
- Accepts sexual abuse victims, judicial clients, and people with dual-diagnosis
- Couples counseling, group counseling, health educational services, and counseling for HIV/AIDS are available.
- Accepts state/federal funding
- Heroin addiction treatment
- Payment assistance available
Darlington County Club, Hartsville, SC
Darling County is a drug and alcohol rehab situated in Hartsville, SC. The facility is located at 900 South Fourth Street in Darlington County – area code 29550.
- Outpatient and regular outpatient rehabilitation services
- Couples counseling, counseling for families, and individual therapy are available
- Accepts clients on MAT for drug and alcohol abuse prescribed somewhere else
- Health care and personal physicians available
- A sliding fee scale with Medicare
- Residential treatment available for substance abuse
Tri-County Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse – SC
This facility is located in Orangeburg, South Carolina, at 910 Cook Road. It’s located in the zip code 29118. It’s yet another perfect drug and rehab facility for couples battling addiction.
- Couples counseling and individual counseling are available for support, along with hepatitis education
- Gambling disorder treatment
- Inpatient treatment for patients with dual diagnosis
- Intensive outpatient and regular outpatient treatments are offered with naltrexone and methadone.
- Medication administration for alcohol abuse
- Help with payment available. Accepts self-payment and cash
How to Find Couples Addiction Treatment Centers?
First and foremost, you need to see whether or not the facility accepts couples and offers couples rehab treatment. You can find a suitable facility by using a simple Google search. Alternatively, you could talk to your health care provider. You could also talk to your friends and families who have gone through a similar situation.
Make sure that the facility you pick is part of your insurance network and is affordable. It should also offer the necessary treatments that you seek.
Even if only one partner suffers from addiction, couples can still benefit immensely from couples therapy. The other partner learns to manage triggers and keep their partner motivated. They can offer necessary support and encouragement to keep the addiction at bay.
Barry Lachey is a Professional Editor at Zobuz. Previously He has also worked for Moxly Sports and Network Resources “Joe Joe.” he is a graduate of the Kings College at the University of Thames Valley London. You can reach Barry via email or by phone.