Despite you receiving a referral to a family law attorney from another attorney or a friend, consider doing your homework. Go through the qualifications of the attorney and ensure that he or she has adequate experience in handling your specific divorce case.
With several divorce attorneys available in the Ohio region and most of them claiming to be family law or divorce specialists, consider looking for divorce attorney delaware ohio suited to handle your specific divorce case. Rest assured that family law has been a subspecialty involving complicated legal principles. It would take experience and time to master.
Moreover, several financial aspects of divorce are inclusive of the following –
- Financial disclosure needs between spouses
- Restraining order during the divorce prohibiting spouses from changing the beneficiary or transferring assets
- Calculating child support
- Calculating alimony along with aspects considered for determining setting payments
- Division of retirement benefits
- Division of assets and property inclusive of collectibles, real property, stock option portfolios, venture capital interests, good will, and other business interests
Hiring a Divorce Attorney
If you had a simple case without any complications involving money or custody issues, consider looking for a less experienced attorney. However, with a complicated case, you would be required to look for an experienced attorney specializing in family law
Find below a few essential tips to consider when hiring a divorce attorney. These questions would be important for you to ask a divorce attorney before hiring their legal services.
- Do they specialize in divorces or divorces are a part of their practice
- How long have they been handling family law cases
- What strategy would they apply for your divorce case
- How long would they take to return your phone call
- Who else would be working on your case from their office
- How could you connect with them during an emergency
- How would they charge for legal services
- Do they charge hourly or flat fees
- What other costs should you expect would be involved in your divorce case handling needs
- What is your estimate of the entire cost of this divorce proceedings
- Would they allow you to negotiate with your spouse directly
- What would be the potential outcome of your divorce case
- What could be done to assist in understanding the tax effect of the decisions
These questions would be important for you to ask the divorce attorney to hire the one suitable for your case handling needs and budget.