Permits 101: Recommended Licenses and Permits for Philippine Businesses


Are you a business owner from the Philippines? If so, you might have heard of obtaining specific licenses to operate your business. While businesses operate in the presence of a document, specialized businesses need to have additional licenses. Why? It will distinguish you from various institutions.

It can take more time for you, but it is the process. However, the long bureaucratic process can be discouraging. Not being able to comply will cost time, effort, and money for your business. Here are the licenses and permits Philippine businesses need to have to save yourself. Once you obtain your licenses, you do not need to worry about more paperwork. Let’s start!

License to Operate from BFAD

When you plan to run a pharmacy or grocery, be sure to secure a license to operate from the Bureau of Food and Drugs. They regulate the importation, exportation, and distribution of processed foods, health and beauty products, cosmetics, drugs, etc. All major pharmacies have this license before they can operate. For independent drug stores, it is also a requirement. As a result, people trust pharmacies because all products they sell go through the BFAD’s regulations. 

License to Operate from FED

The Firearms and Explosive Division (FED) of the Philippine National Police (PNP) requires all organizations to have a license to operate. This division is in charge of firearms and the production of ammunition and explosives. Being a separate license, gun businesses need to comply for all safety.

Security companies will need to go through the Security Management Division (SMD) for security matters. You might obtain additional information from the PNP before one can be an official guard on duty.

Environmental Clearance Certificate (ECC)

The ECC is a vital document for any major construction project. Issued by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), it makes sure that the environment will be taken into consideration. The approval time will depend on the location and area of the construction site. Industries such as forestry, mining, and agriculture must have separate licenses. All natural resources have to go through the DENR’s management.

BIR Certificate

Taxes fuel the country’s economy. Such is the case with the Bureau of Internal Revenue. All institutions across every industry must have a BIR certificate. All companies and employees must comply with them. You can get a headstart on this through OneSec. In addition, self-employed or people earning by pure compensation are subject to their own Tax Identification Number (TIN). There is also a separate TIN for companies to pay corporate taxes.

When you have a certificate, you must renew it once it expires. No renewal can lead to penalties or closure of the business. But if you have a TIN, it is recommended that you only have one. Having multiple TINs is not in accordance with the law. After receiving the certificate, be sure to keep them in a safe place.


Obtaining licenses and permits shows legitimacy. Organizations need licenses to know they are trustworthy. The costs of the permits may vary depending on the type of business. Once all documents are gathered, you can run the business.

You May Also Like

About the Author: Barry Lachey

Barry Lachey is a Professional Editor at Zobuz. Previously He has also worked for Moxly Sports and Network Resources "Joe Joe." he is a graduate of the Kings College at the University of Thames Valley London. You can reach Barry via email or by phone.