A systems engineer is a specialist who analyzes a system’s behavior, determines if it is working properly, and if there is a problem, finds ways to fix it. Additionally, they are also in charge of offering guidance on the proper hardware and software to ensure a client’s computer system fits their requirements.
Because of the nature of the job, system engineers are highly sought-after and make on average $93,000 annually. They can also work virtually in any industry, from biosystems engineering to large business organizations.
In this article, we will discuss some of the responsibilities of a system engineer and see what qualifications you need to become one.
System engineer’s primary responsibility
The system engineer’s main responsibility involves being part of a talented team who demonstrates impeccable technical skills and competency in fixing mission-critical infrastructures while ensuring high performance, quality, and availability.
However, system engineers are usually responsible for taking on similar duties throughout their career, which depending on the industry, may vary.
Here is a list of some everyday tasks a system engineer performs.
- Monitor all installed systems and infrastructure, and propose new solutions
- Install, configure, and test operating systems for both the company and the client end
- Ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Find potential bottlenecks in the system and find ways to fix them by constantly monitoring performance.
- Work closely with system architects, developers, project managers, and other stakeholders to implement new solutions and fix existing issues.
- Maintain security backup
- writing custom scripts to increase efficiency
These are some high-level responsibilities for system engineers, and depending on the requirement of a particular organization, these can vary.
Qualifications to become a system engineer.
To become a successful system engineer, you will need the following qualifications.
- A BS/MS degree in system engineering. Some popular options include Arizona State University’s “Engineering: Systems Engineering (MEng)
- Proven experience in installing, configuring, and troubleshooting UNIX /Linux-based systems
- Solid problem-solving and networking skills
- Experience in automation software and the ability to write custom scripts
- Experience with data visualization and containerization
- Any other relevant skill needed, specifically for the industry you are in.
System engineering specialization
System engineering is usually considered an extension of an industrial engineering program and is regarded as a highly specialized program. Some popular system engineering specializations are as follows:
Biosystems Engineering: They are responsible for designing and facilitating efficient systems that deal with natural methods like water treatment facilities, food processing, and other related industries.
Transportation Systems Engineering: They are responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining transportation systems. There may be some prerequisites like a degree or work experience in the transportation industry, but it depends on the recruiting organization.
Human system engineering: It is a specialization that combines engineering and psychology to design a system to find and address human limitations. It is a relatively new field of discipline, and you can find an introduction to Human Systems Engineering document here.
Software Systems Engineering: The most popular system engineering specialization involves a CS degree with a strong understanding of system architecture and networking.
Answering what a system engineer does is a bit challenging because of the nature of the profession and the different specialization options. But overall, system engineering is a respectable profession requiring an individual to take responsibility and develop quick solutions.
Barry Lachey is a Professional Editor at Zobuz. Previously He has also worked for Moxly Sports and Network Resources “Joe Joe.” he is a graduate of the Kings College at the University of Thames Valley London. You can reach Barry via email or by phone.